- If you’re new to the idea of AI, check out this 26-minute segment from last night’s CBS 60 Minutes. It provides an accurate and comprehensive overview of the subject, especially appropriate for those not technically-inclined. It does not touch AI in professional services or marketing.
- Make sure your deal lawyers see this. Goldman has used process reengineering and AI (a fearsome combination). to make IPOs better, faster and cheaper. And this seems to be good for employee loyalty (“hiring unaffected”). And it’s growing. (More about AI and process management here.)
- “Will Democracy Survive Big Data and Artificial Intelligence?”
According to Scientific American: “…in 2016 we produced as much data as in the entire history of humankind through 2015. Every minute we produce hundreds of thousands of Google searches and Facebook posts. These contain information that reveals how we think and feel. Soon, the things around us, possibly even our clothing, also will be connected with the Internet. It is estimated that in 10 years’ time there will be 150 billion networked measuring sensors, 20 times more than people on Earth. Then, the amount of data will double every 12 hours.”
This is a long, heavy read, but it does a great job detailing the threats posed by these developments and what we should do about them.
- For your IP folks: “Should robot artists be given copyright protection?” Have I mentioned that technology is outpacing laws and regulation? 😉
- Hmmm. I wonder who owns your face. Facial recognition system developed for smartphones.
- I know I’ve said it several times, but I can’t say it enough. It’s all about the data — clean, correct, connected, comprehensive data. This article also reiterates my point that you should not start with, “how should I use AI?” You should start with, “what are my business challenges (or goals)?” Then decide whether AI might be part of the solution.
- Document Management: Here’s a nice case study re RAVN & Rolls Royce.
- AI to jump start US economic productivity growth? (And exacerbate wealth inequality.)
- I don’t want to start the week with ALL heavy stuff, so here’s AI that will sort your Legos for you!